Friday, July 28, 2006

Thinking back to Nicaragua

I was thinking back about my childhood in Nicaragua. It's been twenty one years since I left and have not gone back. I remember being little and looking forward to seeing my grandmother, (Mimi) as everyone called her - But her real name was Teresa. She would come to Nicaragua every couple of years. She was one of nine sisters and two brothers and on her visits she would bring gifts sent by relatives back from the states. I have to tell you that she was a hard lady and yet very loving.
I was thinking back about my early years living in the Isla De Ometepe on Lake Managua. As a kid one of the things that I miss now was being so close to the water. I had this small boat that my father had built when he was nineteen years old. I used to take it out and go fishing with him and friends. I remember this old tree near the banks that lead to the beach. It had fallen over long before I had even been born and it's branches were all in the water. It was used by kids to tie their boats to the branches and we would climb on top of the huge bark and scale our fresh catch.
I remember everything being so green and full of color and sounds all over from all the animals. It was such a sight being on the boats that trasported you from the island to the pier in Managua. As you got near the island you would see this massive volcano standing tall. It was such a sight and it was on my back yard from every direction. I was taken by my uncle on a hike years ago to the very edge of the mouth. It was so green and lush with life all the way up to the top and it just faded out into pebbles and huge rocks as you got to the mouth.
I remember taking my boat with my father my uncle threw out the many connecting rivers in the island and it was just so beautiful seeing the monkeys jump the branches as they sensed up approaching. I have to say that I have always loved the iguana the most of all the animals.

No comments: